Environmental Action Team
Waste Management is a proud environmental partner of the Buffalo Grove Park District.
Our next event is seed processing scheduled for Saturday, December 4 from 9 am to 12 pm, in the maintenance building at Rick Drazner Park (formerly Twin Creeks Park), located at 401 Aptakisic Road in Buffalo Grove. There will be a pot-luck lunch starting at 12 pm for anyone who would like to join in.
The Environmental Action Team participated in 2 Adopt-a-Highway events in April and October, by picking up liter on a stretch of roadway on Deerfield Parkway.
On September 18, 2021 our members directed traffic at the Village/SWANCC document destruction event, held at Banner Plumbing.
After having to cancel last year’s event because of the pandemic, the Environmental Action Team sponsored a Green Fair on September 19. There were 24 exhibitors that resulted in the collection of many items that will be reused and recycled.
The Environmental Action Team organized and led planting of more than 2,500 shrubs, trees, wildflowers and grass plants in a woodland, a swale, and along pond shorelines at Green Lake Park. We also established a new arboretum at the park. More than 90 volunteers participated in 2 events in May and September 2021.
During the weekend of October 24-25, we collected native seeds with Rotarians at Willow Stream Park on Saturday to help with a student's Eagle Scout project; and, we collected trash for the Adopt-a-Highway cause that we support twice a year. Thanks to all who came out to help!
The Buffalo Grove Environmental Action Team assisted with traffic control at the document destruction event on September 12, hosted by the Village of Buffalo Grove and SWANCC. There were 437 cars that came through with documents, dispite the rainy weather and the fact that the event did not have electronics recycling. This is an annual volunteer event for the group.
2019 Green Fair Photos
Environmental Action Team's 10th Anniversary
Buffalo Grove Environmental Action Team celebrates 10 years! The Buffalo Grove Environmental Action Team has been actively working to improve the local environment through a wide range of activities.
- Healthy habitats - We sponsors an annual Plant the Park event to establish native trees and plants to restore prairies, woods and wetlands in our parks. We organized an exhibit and a series of events at the Raupp Museum to honor our natural heritage and surviving prairie remnants.
- Green Fair - Our Green Fair has been running each June for 6 years. It features educational booths and opportunities to recycle a wide variety of household items. More than 300 bicycles have been donated to Working Bikes Cooperative at this event.
- Recycling - We brought recycling to BG Days and organized our first electronics recycling event in 2009. Now, we staff the annual recycling event in conjunction with the Village and SWANCC.
- Energy use - We promote alternative energy and worked with the Village to implement the electrical aggregation program that purchased 100% green energy for Village residents for 3 years.
- Transportation - Our members served on the Village bicycle commission.
- Clean water - Our members founded the Buffalo Creek Clean Water Partnership and conduct annual water quality assessments in Buffalo Creek.
- Clean roadways and parks - We formed an Adopt-A-Highway team and organizes annual stream cleanups along Farrington Ditch.
- Monarch butterflies - Our members enrolled Buffalo Grove in the Mayor’s Monarch Pledge and pass out milkweed seeds at the farmers market and other local events.
What other actions can we take to improve the local environment? Bring your ideas to our team and we will help you make them a reality. You can contact us at bgeat.org.
Buffalo Creek Clean Water Partnership
The Environmental Action Team of Buffalo Grove strives to raise awareness, improve our community’s natural environment and encourage sustainability practices for present and future generations.
Buffalo Grove is in the center of Chicago Wilderness, an area surprisingly rich in diversity and native species. Would you like to improve our local environment and meet other people with similar interests?
If so, join the Buffalo Grove Park District Environmental Action Team. As our name implies, we are an action team, and we are looking for new ideas to improve the environment in Buffalo Grove.
If you have questions, please contact Jeff Weiss at firstname.lastname@example.org or 847.224.0965.
Summary of project that the Buffalo Grove Environmental Action Team participates in:
• Traffic control at the SWANCC document destruction and electronic recycling event in September.
• An Adopt-a-Highway clean-up on Deerfield Parkway in October.
• A community seed collection at Mike Rylko Community Park in October.
• The annual Green Fair in June - 20 exhibitors at Mike Rylko Community Park, with many informational and recycling collection booths.
• Participate in the Deer Grove West Earth Day event in April.
• An Adopt-a-Highway road clean-up on Deerfield Parkway in May.
• A Mike Rylko Community Park Workday in May with community volunteers. Lake County Stormwater Management Commission has awarded a $500 grant for this event.
• Members assist in Riverwatch testing of the health of local streams in May.
• Members and volunteers from the Deer Grove East Forest Preserve process native seeds in December that were collected in the fall to be planted in Park District parks.