Camp 2020 Update
Now that Illinois is in phase 3, the Buffalo Grove Park District will be offering in-person summer camps:
• Session 1: June 29 - July 10 (no camp on July 3)
• Session 2: July 13 - August 7
Based on the phase 3 guidelines, we have put together this informational guide on how camps will run this summer. For more information on phase 3 guidelines, please visit the Illinois Department of Economic Opportunity (DCEO) document on Summer Camps at https://dceocovid19resources.com/assets/Restore-Illinois/businessguidelines3/summerprograms.pdf.
Summer Camp Information
The Buffalo Grove Park District will be following the guidelines as outlined in phase 3; and, we anticipate making some updates and modifications once phase 4 guidelines are released, which will be shared with participants at that time. The registration deadlines are Wednesday, June 24 for session 1, and Monday, July 6 for session 2.
Here is an exciting opportunity for campers to participate in a wide variety of fun and exciting activities. The campers will enjoy arts and crafts, games, outside play and more. This camp will take place at the Alcott Center. Campers must bring a disposable lunch, a reusable water bottle, spray sunscreen and hand sanitizer daily. In addition, campers are required to bring their own mask or face covering every day.
Registration is online only at https://registration.bgparks.org/wbwsc/webtrac.wsc/wbsplash.html?wbp=1
Day: M, Tu, W, Th, F
Date: June 29 - July 10
Time: 9 am - 3 pm
Session 2 offerings can be viewed on the online registration website.
1. For safety purposes, there will be a zero tolerance policy for licking, spitting and biting. Any incident will result in removal from both Camp and the Camp Connection programs.
2. Staff and participants must have a face covering with them at all times.
3. While indoors, all staff and participants must wear secure face coverings over their mouth and nose, and follow social distancing rules of 6 feet apart.
4. Face coverings will not be required while outdoors, unless social distancing rules of 6 feet apart cannot be maintained.
5. Camp groups will be limited to 10 participants and 2 staff. There will be no intermixing of groups.
6. Camp groups will be designated one room/space for the duration of the day camp.
7. Camp groups must maintain 30 feet distance between them (when applicable).
8. Camp groups will be encouraged to be outdoors as much as possible. There will be a mandatory outdoor break for at least 15 minutes for every hour indoors (weather permitting).
9. Camps will remain at their designated site; there will be no transportation, swimming, or field trips.
10. Frequent hand washing will be enforced, and all camp groups will have a supply of hand sanitizer.
11. Drop-off and pick-up for all campers will be contact-less. Anyone picking up a participant will need to be prepared to show ID through their vehicle window.
12. Water bottle refill stations will be available at most sites. When not available, factory-sealed water bottles will be provided.
1. All staff and participants will be required to complete a wellness screening self-assessment before arriving on-site each day. A copy of this assessment can be found at the end of this page.
2. Any staff or participant who is exhibiting Covid-19 symptoms will be prohibited from attending camp. If a staff or participant exhibits symptoms, they may return to camp when they have been fever free for at least 72 hours (without fever-reducing medication), other symptoms have improved, and at least 10 days have passed since their symptoms first appeared.
3. Any staff or participant who has had close contact with any other person who is diagnosed with Covid-19 should quarantine for 14 days after the last contact with the infectious individual, and seek a Covid-19 test.
4. If a participant exhibits symptoms during the camp day, staff will remove and isolate them from their camp group, and call a parent/guardian for pick-up. If the parent/guardian is not available, the staff will call the individuals listed on the participant’s pick up permission form. New this year, the Park District will ask that parents/guardians highlight those individuals who can make it to the site for pick-up within 30 minutes.
5. If a staff or participant is identified as testing positive for Covid-19, the following will occur:
a. Local health officials, staff and participants will be notified immediately of any possible case of Covid-19, while maintaining confidentiality consistent with privacy laws.
b. Cleaning and disinfecting will be performed according to CDC guidelines.
c. All staff and participants should be alert for signs of Covid-19 by watching for symptoms such as fever, cough, or shortness of breath, and by taking a temperature if symptoms develop.
6. A staff or participant who has been confirmed with Covid-19, may not return until the following occurs:
a. They have isolated at home for a minimum of 10 days after symptom onset, and
b. They have been feverless and feeling well (without fever-reducing medication) for at least 72 hours.
c. Or, they have 2 negative Covid-19 tests in a row, with testing done at least 24 hours apart.
d. In all cases, the Park District will require a doctor’s note to return to camp.
1. Cleaning and disinfecting of the camp sites will be performed according to CDC guidelines.
2. Hand sanitizer and sanitizing stations will be available.
3. Common areas and surfaces will be disinfected frequently.
4. Shared spaces (if applicable) will be disinfected between groups.
5. Shared objects and equipment will be sanitized before and after use.
What To Bring To Camp Each Day
1. Face Covering
3. Water Bottle
5. Hand Sanitizer
Refund requests received on or before June 19 for session 1, and on or before July 1 for session 2 will be issued. Refund requests received after the dates listed above will only be issued when accompanied by a current doctor’s note.
Wellness Screening Self-Assessment
Below is the questionnaire referenced in the beginning of this document. All staff and participants will be required to self-assess every day before arriving to the camp site. If a staff or participant answers yes to one or more of the questions, or if they have been exposed to a person known to have Covid-19, they may not come to camp.
Wellness Screening Questionnaire
☐ ☐ Have you felt feverish?
☐ ☐ Do you have a cough?
☐ ☐ Do you have a sore throat?
☐ ☐ Have you been experiencing difficulty breathing, or shortness of breath?
☐ ☐ Do you have muscle aches?
☐ ☐ Have you had a new or unusual headache (not related to caffeine, diet, or hunger, not related to a history of migraines, clusters or tension, not typical to the individual)?
☐ ☐ Have you noticed a new loss of taste or smell?
☐ ☐ Have you been experiencing chills or rigors¹?
☐ ☐ Do you have any gastrointestinal concerns (abdominal pain, vomiting, diarrhea)?
☐ ☐ Is anyone in your household displaying any symptoms of Covid-19?
☐ ☐ To the best of your knowledge, have you or anyone in your household come into close contact² with anyone who has tested positive for Covid-19?
¹ Rigors: A sudden feeling of cold, with shivering accompanied by a rise in temperature.
² Close contact includes household contacts, intimate contacts, or contacts within 6 feet. for 15 minutes or longer, unless wearing an N95 mask during the period of contact.
The Buffalo Grove Park District does not provide daily transportation to camp or home at the end of the day. Transportation to and from camp is the responsibility of each parent/guardian.
Camp locations listed are tentative, and could be subject to change due to summer school scheduling and building maintenance/construction schedules:
- Alcott Center
- Community Arts Center
- Cooper Middle School
- Ivy Hall School
- Twin Groves Middle School
- Willow Grove School
Camp Registration Form
Payment Agreement Form
Medication Authorization Form
Pick-Up/Self-Arrival Release Permission Form
Post Summer Camp Field Trip Form
Once complete, return forms to the Alcott Center. Due to internet security precautions, the payment form is only accepted via fax, mail or in-person. Credit card information is not accepted via email.