General Information Profile Mission Ordinances Behavior Policy
Miscellaneous Information Park Permits Comments Evaluation Forms
Buffalo Grove Park District Profile
The Buffalo Grove Park District is a Distinguished Accredited Agency, accredited in 1995 by the Joint Distinguished Park and Recreation Agency Committee of the Illinois Park and Recreation Association and Illinois Association of Park Districts.
The Buffalo Grove Park District was reaccredited in 2001, 2008 and 2013.
The Buffalo Grove Park District was organized September 22, 1969 as a special purpose unit of government as provided by the Illinois Park District Code.
An elected Board of Park Commissioners consisting of 5 members constitutes the governing body of the Park District. Commissioners are elected to serve 4-year terms. Commissioners serve without compensation. Click here to see the Park Board of Commissioners.
Commissioners elect from among themselves a President, Vice President, Treasurer, and other officers as may be deemed necessary by the Board. These officers of the Board are normally selected at the May annual meeting or as soon thereafter as possible. Each officer holds office until the next annual meeting, or until his successor is chosen.
The Board appoints a Secretary, Treasurer, Attorney and Executive Director, and determines their duties and term of appointment at the May annual meeting.
The boundaries of the Park District are 98% contiguous with those of the Village of Buffalo Grove except in the southern and western parts of the district which includes areas from the Village of Arlington Heights and Village of Wheeling. At present, total land area of the Park District are approximately 9.04 square miles.
Park District population is approximately 41,496.
Equalized assessed value of real estate for 2016 is $1,592,391,377.
(Top Of Page)
The 2016 tax rate in Cook County is .606 and .491695 in Lake County.
Fiscal Year Budget
The operating and capital budget for fiscal year 2017-2018 is $24,270,660.
The fiscal year of the Park District begins on May 1 and concludes on April 30.
Standard and Poors, New York, affirmed rating of Park District General Obligations Bonds AA+ in the fall of 2017.
The Park District maintains 51 park sites, totaling 417.62 acres of land. Facilities include the Raupp Museum, Alcott Center, Community arts Center, Emmerich Park (recreation building and maintenance facility), Twin Creeks Park (recreation building and maintenance facility), Golf Dome, Spray 'N Play, Willow Stream Outdoor Pool, and Fitness Center.
Programs & Services
The Park District provides a full range of activities and services year round. Recreation programs include performing arts, Clubhouse (a before and after school care program), summer day camps, preschool, athletic programs such as soccer, basketball, flag football and softball, learn to swim programs, senior activities and trips, special interest classes for youth and adults, and special events like Lawn Chair Lyrics, Tots in the Parks, Movies Under the Stars, National Night Out and the Huck Finn Fishing Derby. Leisure services are provided for special needs residents through the Northwest Special Recreation Association.
(Top Of Page)
58 full-time staff are employed and supported with more than 300 part-time and 400 seasonal staff.
· National Recreation and Park Association
· Illinois Association of Park Districts
· Illinois Park and Recreation Association
· Suburban Parks and Recreation Association
· Buffalo Grove Area Chamber of Commerce
The Buffalo Grove Friends of the Parks Foundation was founded in 1994 to support the services of the Illinois Association of Park Districts. Their mission states, "For the physical and recreational well-being of the residents of the Buffalo Grove Park District, the Friends of the Parks Foundation is dedicated to supporting the district in the development and enhancement of its programs, services, facilities and planning." Meetings are held the first Wednesday of each month starting at 8 am at the Alcott Center.
Awards & Recognition
- 2009 finalist for the National Recreation and Park Association Gold Medal Award.
- Certification of Achievement for Excellence in Financial Reporting for fiscal year 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016.
- Accredited by the Park District Risk Management Association for its Loss Control Program.
- Outstanding Transportation Award for Safety Performance presented by the Illinois Safety Council 1999, 1998, 1991.
- Outstanding Safety & Health Award for Safety Performance presented by the Illinois Safety Council 1998, 1992, 1991.
- Accredited in 1995 as a Certified Leisure Agency; status reviewed in 2001. Accredited until next review in 2013.
- Northwest Suburban Regional Action Planning Project, First Place Youth Category in 1994 (Governor’s Hometown Award).
- Award of Merit for Lighting Project (1990) for walk paths at Willow Stream Park.
- 2004 Illinois Park and Recreation Association Award for Best Single Catalog.
- 2005 Illinois Park and Recreation Association Award for Best Catalog Cover Series.
- 2005 Illinois Park and Recreation Association Award for Best Logo Design.
- Named Top 10 Best Golf Domes in the United States and Canada by the Golf Range Association of America 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012.
- 2006 National Recreation and Park Association KUDOS Marketing Award for Best Overall Communicator.
- 2011 Illinois Park and Recreation Association Award for Best Catalog Series.
- 2013 Illinois Park and Recreation Association Award for Best Media Relations Campaign.
- 2016 Illinois Association of Park Districts Best of the Best Award for Intergovernmental Agreements
(Top Of Page)
Park District Staff - Key Contact Information
|Executive Director||Ryan Risinger||847.850.2122|
|Director of Recreation and Facilities||Bill Heider||847.850.2160|
|Director of Parks and Risk Management||Tim Howe||847.850.2163|
|Director of Business Services and Human Resources ||John Short||847.850.2114|
|Public Relations & Marketing Manager||Mike Terson||847.850.2116|
|Superintendent of Facilities and Risk Management||Tim Beckmann||847.850.2107|
|Superintendent of Recreation||Kim Cashmore||847.850.2108|
|Superintendent of Recreation||Greg Ney||847.850.2127|
|Superintendent of Recreation||Erika Strojinc||847.850.2133|
Agency Contact Information
530 Bernard Drive
Parks Division/Emmerich Park
150 Raupp Boulevard
Web Site Address
Buffalo Grove Park District Mission Statement
Enriching life and community through premier parks, programs and facilities. -Adopted January 2013
(Top Of Page)